Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mellow Mushroom



Mellow Mushroom
1167 Broad St
Augusta, GA
(706)828-5578

Food 4.5/5
Staff 2/5
Price 3.5/5
Cleanliness 1.5/5
Ambiance 4/5
Overall Rating 14.5/25

I have rated Mellow Mushroom before on a different site, but that was over a year ago and it was rated under a different system. I decided to do a follow-up and re-review this fine dining establishment. Upon this last journey to one of my favorite pizzerias, I noticed that it had obviously gone into a downward spiral of filthiness. The floors were nasty! Although they hard floor concrete, which is easy to clean and keep clean, there was food crumbs here and there. A syrupy stain from possibly a soda or beer. I probably would have been more lenient if it were lunchtime, but we went around four pm. The dishes and tables at least were clean, so we stayed.


The wait staff was friendly enough, but they were definitely amateurs at best. Our waitress never asked if everything was okay. There was no asking about desserts (points off for that of course). I ran out of drink. We weren't asked if we wanted a box to take with us, which forced me (via conscience) to finish off my meal.


I never thought we would get our pizza. It took a good 25 minutes to get a pizza pie in the middle of the afternoon with maybe only a dozen other tables filled. As for the pizza itself, the vegetables, kudos! Each one of the veggies were a delight to the senses and I truly do love a good vegetable and I was very happy about this here. The meat was up to par, neither great nor terrible. The sauce is light, very light, hardly noticeable and its like this on most of their pies, so keep this in mind if you care one way or the other. I do happen to like a light sauce, so it was a good thing. The dough was a little oily and undercooked, NOT GOOD! The dough that I so looked forward to eating was a little raw! The dough is whole wheat, which is really a lot better than the dough you might get from any high volume pizza chain, the only stipulation to this is that the dough, MUST BE COOKED!!!!


The ambiance, not considering the entire menu that covered the floor in bits and pieces, was warm and inviting in that strange, hippy decor. It was fun to see statuettes of characters shaped like each of the ingredients and make funny little stories about them. The music they pipe in through the speaker is not too loud and it is really good.


The price of the food is a really good value. Drinks and food came to around $10 per person and that is about average for any of those crappy pizza chains that advertise on the telly. So even for the floor being nasty and the crust being underdone a little, price should still not enter much into your equation of choosing this as your favorite pizzeria.


As my final thought, I'd like to say that I'll definitely go back to Mellow Mushroom, but probably at another branch. Mellow Mushroom is a smaller franchise that can be found almost all over the southern states, also a few in the southwestern states, and a one in Indiana. They have a fantastic website that you should check out if you're interested in trying some good pizza. If you're coming to the Augusta area for the golf tourney next month, then maybe you should try the one in Evans, GA, they are cleaner and more experienced with food than the one I went to on Broad Street.


Special Thanks to ruby13_2006 from photobucket for allowing me to use the beautiful mushroom photo seen above.

No comments:

Post a Comment